Saturday, March 12, 2011

NCR Testers Meet

Finally after thinking many times how to go about it, I have finally sat down to write my first blog and It will be an injustice if I don’t write it about the people who inspired me to do so. The idea of writing blogs came into my head when I attended my first NCRTMM-3 meet back in Feb held at Sopra Group where I met Mr Ajoy Singha, truly an inspirational person who encourage people to write/read blogs and share their knowledge with the testing community. The entire meet was impressive and it was great to see so many testers discussing about new methodologies, testing methods, key notes and daily problems related to work in my personal favorite segment of the meet problem on the table. Since that day I was occupied with prior commitments toward my work. Till the time I realized that I haven’t written anything, I found myself sitting in the NCRTMM-4 meet scheduled for March 12, 2011 in Innito Technologies in Cyber City, Gurgaon.

As always everything was perfect about the NCR monthly meet. The ambience of Innito was amazing and people were punctual to reach well in time. I was excited for the session conducted by Mr. Manoj Papneja from FIS on the topic “Continuous Integration - A boost to Project Automation” which I have been working on implementing in my company.  People who are interested in knowing more about Continuous Integrating Testing can read the article by Mr. Martin Fowler till the time I write something :).

The key-notes section was also interesting as always. Discussion on topics like “Domain Champions Vs Reshuffling -> Merits-Demerits for a Tester” was a great learning for a tester to improve their skill set and the managers to motivate team reshuffling and help the team to bring out the creativity which is not limited to a certain domain.

Problem on the table had the discussion on the topic "Updating the regression testcases". The question was asked by an IBM employee who has been stuck with the monotonous job of executing 1000 manual testcases for every release that to in a very demanding agile environment where releases are mostly weekly or sometimes monthly. This is something which was annoying for everyone who has felt this pain. People with wide range of background/levels gave different opinions and solutions to overcome this issue.

I had the chance to speak about this issue as I have been facing the same challenge and have found a great solution in term of selenium to overcome this issue. This is the first time I was speaking in NCRTMM so I was excited and nervous. I talked about a real time scenario where I had the same issue of executing 500 regression test-cases for 10 components to be tested on 5 different browsers for a single release which roughly make 500X10X5=25000 manual testcases. The total man hours to manually test will take more than 2 week. So I guided them how I used selenium to integrate those testcases and used selenium grid (simultaneously on different machine) and simplium (serially) to make those testcases work on different browsers. I also talked about how these testcases can be integrated into nightly build/continuous builds which can be run nightly or important testcases on each continuous build and the reports will be delivered to the team on number of testcases passed/failed.

It was nice to receive appreciation from people on the topic I talked about and they encouraged me to give a full presentation on things I did to make it work for me. A lot of them came over and talked to me about the common problems which they are facing while trying to implement selenium.

Finally it was again Ajoy who asked me again that do I write blogs and with a dead voice I replied “I will soon”. So Ajoy your inspiration has definitely made me write this blog. You will soon see my blog on implementing selenium with simplium and definitely an article on Mobile Testing for Testing Circus magazine.

In the end I would urge testers to come forward and attend such NRC tester’s monthly meet. It was a great learning experience for all those who attended it. I would like to congratulate Vipul/Ajoy/Innito/NCRTMM team for successfully organizing the 4th NCR testers meeting. I am looking forward to hear feedbacks, questions from you and surely focusing on contributing more toward the community.
              “Let’s work together to make NCR capital of Software Testing”


4 comments:

  1. Nice to know that you have started blogging. We require more tester bloggers. I wish you best wishes for your future posts in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ajay,

    Welcome to the blogging world! It is a nice summary of the whole meet. This should definitely inspire other testers too :)

    Regards
    Vips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ajoy and Vipul for the inspiration. The entire NCR meet is so motivational. Hope we can work together to achieve the goal of making NCR capital of Software Testing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, Ajay has put forth a challenge to other testers.

    Nice going, Keep it up.

    Regards
    Navneet

    ReplyDelete